Monday, June 23, 2014

The Work-Life-Dance Balance, by Corps de Ballet Dancer Ciara McCormack

I am a person of many passions- I am a dancer, of course, but I am also a writer, a teacher, an administrator, and a business owner. How I find the time to do all of this isn’t the question, because, in all honesty, I don’t. Each week, I spend a combined 55 hours rehearsing, sending e-mails, chasing 3 year olds, doing accounting, demonstrating proper posture, filing papers, and (every once in awhile) writing articles.

Yet, each job I do could easily be a full-time job, and each additional commitment steals time from the others, making it impossible to do each job to my full potential. On top of the stress of having a busy schedule, it’s stressful to know there’s more I could be doing for each occupation. I could be stretching and going over my choreography more at home, spending more time on lesson plans and curriculum research, or putting more effort into my business accounting and marketing…


So, why is it that I am still taking on new projects- applying for new jobs, saying yes to extra tasks at work, adding more shows to my calendar?

1. Because I’m still testing the balance point between all of these roles- I love working with little people in the classroom just as much as letting my body free in the studio and feeling the satisfaction of checking something off of a to-do list. I can’t eliminate any one of them, but I can continue to re-adjust the ratio- taking on more classes at the expense of a couple hours at my day job, adding rehearsals at the expense of frequently reviewing local performances. If a change doesn’t work, I can always try a new one.
2. Because I know what I want to be when I grow up. Eventually, I tell myself, I will be in charge of an arts-education non-profit that connects professional dancers to schools through long-term residencies. My purpose now, early in my career, is to say yes to everything that will contribute skills, knowledge, and experience to make that goal successful.

Beyond work, there is the job of having a personal life- having a relationship, allowing time for relaxation, celebrating and enjoying the company of people outside your home and office. After that, I do my best to sleep and do my chores, but learning how to truly balance that part of life with the rest of it- well… that’s the hard part. 

1 comment:

  1. This is something phenomenal tips about ballet dance. yes i agree that preparing of shoes had main and basic thing in the perform of dancing thanks so much to introduce this post.


    Ballet equipment |
    Ballet Workout Dvd

    ReplyDelete